It can occur due to various causes, including circulatory problems, congestive heart failure, kidney or liver disease. However, it can also be caused by other problems such as not drinking enough water, carrying an inadequate diet or a sedentary life.
Its symptoms are usually quite visible, such as weight gain, swelling in the legs and ankles, in the hands or bulging of the abdomen. From the Spanish Heart Foundation they point out that it is also a symptom “the presence of foveaif we press the skin firmly with the finger, we notice a depression that remains for some minutes or seconds after we have removed the finger.’
To avoid this annoying problem, it is advisable to take care of your diet, exercise and stay hydrated. But some foods are especially effective against edema:
- Pineapple. It is made up of 85 percent water, so it will help us drain. In addition, it contains high levels of potassium, which makes it one of the main diuretic foods. Due to its high content of bromelain, pineapple facilitates the digestion of proteins and also contains vitamin C.
- Watermelon and melon. Both fruits have a high water content and, therefore, a great diuretic effect that limits fluid retention and favors the elimination of toxins. The melon is also rich in potassium and regulates the amount of sodium, so it is capable of deflating the belly.
- Lemon. It has a powerful diuretic and purifying effect, making it ideal for eliminating liquids. It is also known for its antioxidant properties thanks to its high content of vitamin C.
- Artichoke. Composed of magnesium, potassium and sterols, it is considered an excellent purifier that helps the body eliminate all those toxins that it does not need. It is capable of preventing fluid retention, but also hypertension and excess uric acid. Cynarin, which is the substance responsible for its slightly bitter taste, is also what gives it its diuretic properties.
- Cucumber. Water, vitamins and minerals are the main compounds of this vegetable, which make it have high draining capacities. Rich in antioxidants, it provides flavonoids, vitamin C and beta carotene and contains silicon and sulfur, which stimulate the kidneys, promoting the elimination of uric acid. It can be included in salads, vegetable creams or gazpachos.
- Cabbages. Rich in water, potassium and fiber, they contribute to the elimination of liquid and toxins. Their low fat content also makes them suitable for inclusion in any slimming diet.
- Onion. It includes potassium, calcium, phosphorous and water. It is considered a purifying food for its diuretic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant action. It helps eliminate liquids, so it is advisable to include it in our meals as a stir-fry or in our salads.
- Celery. Composed of 95 percent water, it is a purifying vegetable that favors the elimination of water and toxic substances through urine. In addition, it hardly contains fat, it is satiating, it favors digestion and eliminates gases. It can be included in salads or smoothies with other fruits and vegetables.
- Asparagus. They contain a high percentage of potassium, an element that helps eliminate fluids and stimulates the activity of the kidneys, thus helping the body to drain. In addition, it contains vitamins, minerals and an amino acid called asparagine. It can be served boiled, sautéed, scrambled or eaten fresh.
- Avocado. A very popular food in recent months, rich in potassium, magnesium and vitamins. Like the rest of foods with these characteristics, it helps to eliminate liquids in case of retention.
The intake of these foods must be accompanied by a good hydration. Water is essential for our nutrition and proper functioning of the body. With it, it contributes to the elimination of liquids, so it is advisable to drink at least two liters of water a day.