Celery is popular as a healthy snack because it is low in calories, it also provides fiber for the proper functioning of both the digestive and cardiovascular systems. For this reason, it is one of the most used vegetables in salads and cooking in general.
It is a green vegetable, with stems that form a thick penca with minted leaves, similar to coriander and, according to dietician and nutritionist Megan Ware, Celery is made up of 95% water, making it a good source of vitamin K.
The whole plant has a strong sour taste, although the stems are bleached during cultivation, causing it to lose these qualities, acquiring a sweeter flavor and the characteristic aroma that makes it a good ingredient in salads and soups.
According to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Mexico, Among the main nutritional properties of celery are its high fiber propertiesIt is diuretic, low in calories, with vitamin C and E, with potassium, sodium and calcium.
Celery contains flavonoids, compounds with antioxidant activity and diverse biological functions (vasodilators, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, immunostimulant, antiviral, etc.).
Due to the mentioned nutrients, Celery brings great health benefits. According to the Tua Saúde portal, these are some of them:
1. Promote weight loss: celery is ideal when you want to lose weight, since it has between 90 and 95% water in its composition, this means that it has few calories (around 16 kcal per 100 g) and “it is an excellent option to include it in hypocaloric diets aimed at weight loss”, they explain on the unCOMO portal.
2. Control diabetes: Celery contains water in high amounts, which is why it eliminates sugar and regulates insulin levels in people with diabetes. According to research published in the journal saudi Medical Journal, referenced by Terra medium, the intake of this vegetable could reduce glucose values in the body by up to 20%.
3. Lower Cholesterol: According to a study published in pharmacognosy journal, in which he analyzed celery seed extract in rats, it was concluded that this food works to reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol, triglycerides and increase HDL (good cholesterol).
4. Fight constipation: when this vegetable is consumed regularly enough, within a proper diet, can help improve intestinal transit and promote good evacuation. That is why it is presented as useful to combat constipation.
5. Lower Blood Pressure: According to the Gastrolab portal, celery is one of the foods that helps reduce blood pressure, since according to several studies, its high fiber content controls this condition and also helps improve blood circulation.
6. Prevent urinary infections: Better To Health describes that celery helps to eliminate the pressure of the kidneys in high-protein diets. It also reveals that its water content helps prevent kidney stones and other urinary health problems.
7. Increase defenses: Thanks to the fact that it is rich in vitamin C and A, its consumption contributes to maintaining the immune system in optimal conditions, which It is responsible for protecting the body from conditions such as the flu or colds.
8. Improve Gout: “Celery has components that make it have an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect, so it could be beneficial for people who suffer from gout, arthritis and high uric acid,” explains Tua Saúde.